It is not how far you can go, but what obstacles you can get around on the journey. Sounds like one of those smart business sayings, but for many working at height projects, it really is true.
Up-and-over reach is increasing important when working at height in many environments – and, here at Hird, we make sure customers can get a long way over to reach worksites.
In one example, Hird’s Central Operational Hub, in Doncaster, supplied a Genie 45/25J articulated boom lift to maintenance technicians working on signage at a building supplies company.
Its maximum outreach of 7.62 metres allowed the team to clear the building materials stored outside the industrial unit. Its articulating gib boom also allows fast and precise positioning around structures such as overhanging roof soffits.
There are important reasons why boom lift design has evolved rapidly over recent years to incorporate up-and-over capability:
- Modern construction programmes require multiple teams carrying out different tasks to work continuously around each other. This makes for a more congested worksite.
- In the interests of safety and efficiency, it is far better for a boom lift to be positioned once, often some distance from the work site, then reach across to access multiple work points.
- Increasingly, for reasons of safety, buildings are constructed with the assumption that roofs and other higher structures will be accessed using MEWPs. This low-touch approach reduces construction costs, reduced the risk of slips and falls, and allows maintenance tasks to be completed faster.
- Lean working systems means customers do not have the staff or time to prepare worksites for working at height operations, for example clearing equipment or materials. Boom lifts have to fit in where they can.
- Technological advances in the design, safety, control capability and speed of operation of boom lifts have extended their operational envelope, expanding their use in complex environments.
Hird has a range of boom lifts that provide excellent up-and-over capability for both working at height indoors, outdoors, or both.
The Nifty Height Rider 21N Hybrid AWD is an example of a new generation of light-weight bi-energy booms that can be operated on electric power, indoors or out, or switched to diesel power for outdoor use, a process which also recharges the electric battery.
It has a maximum outreach of 12.8 metres and a maximum working height of 20.8 metres.
Another excellent bi-energy boom lift is the Nifty Height Rider 15N, which offers one of the best working envelopes in its class. It delivers unrivalled working outreach of 9.6 metres, combined with pinpoint accuracy when positioning the platform.
Also, because it has a super narrow base as standard, it can operate in the most confined spaces, including narrow aisles, as well as lift operatives quickly and safely over obstacles.
The Manitou 180ATJ is an excellent diesel-powered articulated boom lift for use across rough terrain that delivers a maximum outreach of 10.6 metres at a working height of 7 metres, while allowing precise basket positioning with an articulating jib.
Its chunky tyres and wheels have four-wheel drive, four-wheel steer and crab steer, so there is little chance of getting stuck in the mire.
At the bigger end the scale, Hird offers the JLG 800AJ articulated boom, which has a maximum outreach of 15.24m at a working height of 9.14 metres.
Then there is the Genie Z80/60 articulating boom lift. It can reach out 18.28 metres at a working height of 6.1 metres and has a maximum working height of 26.77 metres.
Its FastMast function allows the boom to be lowered to the ground without lowering the secondary boom, saving time, while its powerful diesel engine keeps it working for long days.
Contractors looking for excellent up and over boom lifts – and up and under options, if they were placing the boom outside to work inside structures – can come to Hird for advice and excellent hire options.
Hird also provides IPAF MEWP operator training, both at worksites, and at our own purpose-designed powered access training centres. Call Hird today to discuss your up-and-over working at height needs.
Northern 01482 227333
Central 01302 341659
Southern 0203 174 0658
Email: [email protected]